Malted Barley Vodka
Tayport Distillery has launched its Malted Barley Vodka, a premium craft vodka that became one of the World's Top 10 Vodkas within its first 4 months.
Tayport Distillery uses the finest Scottish Malted Barley from a small family owned and operated farm in East Lothian. Water is collected and refined from the Lomond Hills, enhancing the purity and refined texture of our spirit. Creating a great vodka requires the perfect combination of ingredients and fine control over the distillation process. Our distillation processes are modern and innovative using the latest technology.
Premium vodka is immediately recognisable by the texture and smooth mouthfeel. To create a vodka at a consistently high standard we charcoal filter further refining the barley vodka. We slowly filter over several days carefully refining the spirit until we get the perfect malt barley flavour and character into our wholly scottish vodka.
You can read our tasting notes from the International Wine and Spirits judges about our craft vodka below:
'Comforting cacao nibs enveloped in rich chocolate loaf and laced with malted spiced vanilla. Smooth and luxurious; a gorgeously unctuous textured sweet nectar. Highly accomplished.'
A worthy mention is that our craft barley vodka has been featured in Forbes as one of the best vodkas in the world, you can read more about other world class vodkas and ours by clicking here.
Is potato vodka better than grain vodka?
This is a very common question we get asked on tours all the time! You can make vodka our of many different ingredients. Carrots, sugar beet, barley, wheat, potatoes, peas the list goes on! The important things to consider when designing a premium vodka are; texture, mouthfeel, taste and alcohol content. All of these elements are directly effected by the way you produce your base spirit. Here are a couple of examples:
- It all depends on the brewer and distiller, creating the right texture and mouthfeel is a very time consuming process and you have to have the patience to monitor and experiment to make a smooth clean spirit. Any spirit drink that burns or scratches the back of your throat has probably being rushed a little and the distiller has not quite managed to collect the purest alcohols.
- Some ingredients like carrots might have less sugar than barley and would not convert into as much alcohol, which would be a lot of wasted effect and very messy. So as a distillery we have to make a couple choices
To answer the question, the ingredients can definitely impact the final taste experience whether it is potato or grain - but more importantly it comes down to who is making it and patience to experiment and get it right.
Visit Our Distillery
Tayport Distillery is a small and intimate craft distillery built to be operated by a family. We have an experience area where you can taste and sample our range of spirits, all within the heart of production facility. You can get up close and personal to our machinery where we make our craft vodka from scratch. We use local barley imparting Scotland's signature flavour into each bottle. It gives us great joy to make a Scottish vodka, that has been awarded such a prestigous award in the global craft vodka market.
When Tayport Distillery first launched in 2017, it was imperative that we do everything in-house at the distillery. We wanted to take control of the entire process to produce a spirit that was smooth and refined in texture. We love that we can develop new project easily in the heart of our distillery, using our own base and building from there. Meet our team of distillers and spirit tasters:
- Fast National Delivery with regular tracking updates via email.
- Same-Day Delivery for local postcodes- see here for included postcodes.
- Include a special message with your package for a friend on the Cart Page.
- No invoices included in our packages.
- Want it delivered on a specific date? No problem, just let us know in the notes section on the Cart Page.
- Your gift will arrive package by hand with care.
- All local deliveries are free and if ordered by 2pm, will be delivered the same day!